14 Nov Happy Hectic Holidays!
And just like that, we’re half way through November. Time is flying these days and I need constant reminders to stop and smell the roses…
But who’s got time for sniffing flowers when there’s custom dresses to make, nifty giftys to send out, our first Spring photo shoot on Thursday, and about 50 colors split between two palettes I can’t decide on for next fall. Yep, Fall 2018 is proving itself to be a little trickier than I imagined. It’s hard. Like really, really hard sometimes. I know I make it look just terribly easy (please read that with a heavy dose of sarcasm), but the pressure is on. I had to make Spring 2018 better than Fall 2017 and now Fall 2018 has to be better than them both. How can one person keep outdoing themselves?! I don’t know, but these are the thoughts constantly twisting in my brain.
Anyway… Holiday is here (you’re like duh Sam, it’s been out for over a week)! So what did you think? A little funky, right?! I stepped out of my casual comfort zone and into a festive and fancy state of mind! There are so many little details that make it special to me. I have a list of things I was wondering if you noticed…
- Did you see the pink partridges?! I love traditional holiday novelties (and birds!) so I definitely wanted to give a nod to the 12 Days of a Christmas tune, but it wouldn’t be Wildflowers without a spoonful of whimsy! So I colored those little birdies Powder Pink and tossed them with blooming roses and seasonal foliage. You’ll find these sweet tweets flittering on the skirt of the Christmas Card Dress.
- Sparkle buddies! These shiny mirror like buttons are some of my favorites from the past. Denise and I always saved these for the most special designs, so choosing them for holiday was a no brainer! ‘Eye spy’ them on the Jolly Pinafore Top, the Keepsake Tunic, and of course, both of the Hostess Exclusive items!
- Velvet is everywhere right now. Come on, we both know we want those jewel toned velvet boots or those solid velvet shift dresses! Well, I wanted velvet for your kiddos too, but I also know this fabric can be a little grown up looking. So I decided to go with a soft stretchy knit velour instead! This fabric is known for it’s lux shine, making whatever color it is almost multidimensional. The deep harbor blue velour bodice on the Good Tidings Ballet Dress took this frock to a whole new level! And the Hey Jude Flares are the pants my dreams are made of. Where is my size?!
- Reverse, reverse! I think by now you might have noticed I LOVE to make stuff reversible. More bang for your buck if you ask me! So take a gander at the Tinsel Vest, flip it to one side for a velvet dotted ‘upholstery’ fabric or turn it around for that dazzling navy floral that’s featured on the Winter Waltz and the Mandy Dress.
- Tulle touches for days! I love tulle. LOVE it. I don’t think it’s ALWAYS the right fabrication though, it’s gotta be saved from the right moment and the right season. I decided to take this soft mesh fabric and sprinkle it about some old favorites (hello Poinsettia Clara😍) and also add it to some new styles like the Keepsake Tunic (my fave), the polar express jacket, and tucked beneath the tiers of the Good tidings Dress!
- Sentimental silhouettes… A few months ago (back in…April I think?) I was designing holiday, just had a baby, and I was spending a lot of time thinking about all the mama’s who have inspired me over the years. Of course Denise is at the top of that list, but there have been so many wonderful ladies I’ve met over the years that have made an everlasting impact on me as well. The women who followed me from one dream to another, supported me regardless of the brand I was working for. During this time, I couldn’t help but think of Mandy. If you knew her— lucky you! She was too funny, too thoughtful, and gone TOO soon. While I didn’t know her as well as SO many did, I felt her loss immensely. And I know that New Years Eve will never be the same. I know it’s not much, but I designed the Mandy dress in her honor. So when you grab it this season (and heck, anytime of year!) think about the silly cat lady that would do just about anything to make you laugh. Think about friendships you’ve made over children’s clothes. And think about all the happy you can spread in this world of ours, just like she did!
Alright, time to go cross something off this ever growing list of mine! I’ll be blaring the new TSWIFT if anybody needs me… 😉